He drank my milkshake

Results from the Blackstone test.  About 120 miles on the sample.  Pics of the filter cut open were a couple of posts ago.


High metal readings.  Way high.  They say some of this could be the result of the engine “awakening from slumber” and washing out some corrosion.   But it’s not all from that.  Their words.  Very cool because that’s what it is.  They say if the oil pressure is good (it is though I’ll put a real gauge on it after the floor) and it runs well (it does) then do some quick flushes to clean it some more.  Keep checking the filter and oil for metals and send another sample in 500 miles. It’ll need to get cracked open anyway but if I can put it off for a while that would be deluxe.

I’m floored

After putting some miles on and getting used to having a second car around the house we were looking to start a quickie refresh of the interior.    Five or six years ago when we started the small batch manufacturing business we decided we really didn’t need two cars.  It worked well for us to be a one car family.  And we certainly didn’t want another car payment at the time.  Now that the Focus is paid off we don’t want another.

The original plan was to finish the desert toy, a street legal class 7100 off road race truck and use that as a kick around car and desert toy.  About mid way through that build Dad decided he wanted to pass the Mustang on to me as they downsized and moved back to civilization.    The Ranger was sidelined to focus on the Mustang.  It was meant to be easy to get back on the road.  Which it was easy to get started and able to drive it.  But not for long distances or being able to steer or stop.  So a bit more was needed to get it back on the road.  Turned out great.

Obligatory shade tree mechanic photo.  The tree was a mere Festivus Pole when we moved in 10 years ago.  Now it provides actual shade.

Continue reading “I’m floored”

No posts, lots of work

Up until a few days ago I’d been enjoying cruising around, driving to work, running errands.  I put over a couple hundred miles on it since I changed the break in oil.  It drives like an old car.   After I finished the steering rebuilt from the previous post I took it to the local chain joint for an alignment.  Of the places near that could get me in that day they were only ones that would tackle it.  They said they had an “old guy” that worked the alignment rack and he would know what to do.   The toe and camber are pretty easy to set from my racing days.  Setting the caster on this one was cumbersome so rather than spend the time I sent it to the old guy.

Continue reading “No posts, lots of work”

I have control (valve) issues

It’s going swimmingly.  With the death rattle mostly fixed by the front bushing/suspension refurb a month or two back the only thing remaining on the front was danger steering.  It was a good quarter turn on the wheel.  I thought it might be the box.  But it wasn’t.  That box wasn’t in bad shape.  I showed the teardown a few posts ago.  What was left after cleaning was to seat the new bearings and install the reconditioned sector shaft.

I got the bearings from an industrial supply joint on ebay, $20.  I got the lower shaft seal,  upper worm seal and housing gasket from C&G Ford Parts.  All in I spent under $40 on parts for the rebuild.

Continue reading “I have control (valve) issues”

Finally the steering goes back on

It’s been a long wait.  Too long.  My killer deal of a vise fell by the wayside.  Amazon updated the deliver time to right about now, or more than two weeks from when it was originally due.  That meant I had to go buy a vise locally (and pay retail).  It was a similar promotion/package for a Wilton vise but not the bullet style.  Bummer.  But I needed a vise so I could get back to finishing the car.  I got the free hammer and a different funky color but the vise was a Chinese made Wilton 6 1/2″ utility vise.  It’s a nice vise.  But it ain’t a bullet.

Continue reading “Finally the steering goes back on”